Monday, March 15, 2010

Nothing Can Separate!

Hello there. I told you all that I would write more about identity and I promise I will eventually, but something else is really on my heart right now. What I am thinking about right now is the idea that nothing can separate us from God. The text is Romans 8:38-39 and it reads as follows in the ESV:

38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.


I would like to encourage you to take a second and think about what this means if we truly believe it. Just to preface, this passage was written to the church in Rome. This means that its intended audience would have been people who already had begun following Christ. I, however, do not believe that Paul was insinuating that God's love is exclusive to Christ followers.

Ok, now take a deep breath and we will discuss what that means in our lives. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing can separate you from God's love. It doesn't even matter if you don't want it... It doesn't matter what you've done, who you are, or who you think you might be... God loves you.

God's love is pure. We, as broken humans, have perverted everything that God created in us to be good. Everything we are is in some way a reflection of the characteristics of God (Gen. 1:26). We love because God first loved. His love is better than the best version of our love.

I don't really care what you've heard before, this is how God feels about you. Think about how you feel inside when you reeeeeeaaaaaalllllllly love someone. Are you starting to get an idea of how much God loves you?

Okay, here is an example. God being infinitely great, took on all the limitations of a human body to suffer and die to give us a shot at spending eternity with him. That is love. To be perfectly clear, God has no issues with His self-image. He has a clear picture of who he is. He is Great and he knows that spending eternity in his presence is the best thing for us.

Sooooooooo, just to summarize (because my writing is sometimes erratic at best) God's love is perfect and absolutely nothing can separate you from that love. No matter what you have or have not done you are stuck.... He loves YOU!:-) Embrace it and begin to truly live.(Rom. 8:11)

Peace,

D

P.S. Sorry I don't have an image to go along with this post. I searched and came up with nothing... Have an awesome day!

No comments: