Monday, October 20, 2008

Yes... I am one woolly looking booger... In a previous post I talked about my beard and how I started growing it to make girls not find me attractive. I guess I thought that by having a beard that it would remove the temptations I was feeling in regard to the opposite sex... Boy was I wrong... It is interesting how these things work! I grow a beard to try and help alleviate temptation and the devil just pours it on thicker than ever!

It's interesting that in my small group we've been studying in James. James chapter 1 talks about temptations and trials and the difference between the two and how to deal with each of them. Verses 13-15 talk about being tempted and in the ESV translation read:

13Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God," for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. 14But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

The interesting thing about these verses is even after relentlessly studying them in preparing for small group, I still almost typed, "it's funny how God works," but it isn't God at all... No temptation comes from God, but from ones own evil desires... I totally agree with this assessment! We have to abort the desire at conception instead of letting it develop into sin! This is easier said than done, but it is completely impossible without a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and a community of believers to help with accountability!

I guess my prayer is that everyone who reads this will continue to develop their relationship with Christ and pursue community, as it is the most important step in our Christian lives after prayer and Bible study!

Peace and love,
Derek

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hey Derek... Get to the blogging. We haven't heard from you in forever (via blog).

T@R@ said...

i second that!