Saturday, March 24, 2012

I'm engaged!


So as of Thursday evening, I am now officially engaged! My plan was originally to wait until next Saturday, but after about three hours of having the ring, I decided to expedite the process a little. I frantically zipped around Charleston to put together a special evening, but it all pretty much got thrown out because she got out of class early and I didn't have the time I thought I had. Anyway, I was able to light 32 candles, lay out a dozen red roses, uncork and spill everywhere one bottle of expensive champagne, and put on fancy clothes (and sweat more than I thought was humanly possible). Anyway, she said yes and that's the important thing!

So, this marks the official beginning of the wedding planning process. I'm excited to get the ball rolling, but I also understand that wedding planning tends to stress everyone out and be really expensive. In this season, our goal is simplicity. In light of this, I will be focusing on the important things. Here is a past blog post that I thought seemed appropriate to share again.

Wise words on marriage that I recently read

Hello to all my blog followers and to those of you who read this on facebook! I really appreciate the fact that you care what I have to say. I know most of it ends up being complaining about one thing or another, but that is just what I use my blog for. To complain... It's my outlet :-)

Anyway, I wanted to share some advice I recently read about how a husband should treat his wife. I am planning(and I encourage you too also if you're a man) to pray that if I am supposed to get married that I can be the kind of husband described below.
Honor her maritally. Take a wife honorably. Establish right priorities, and be a one woman man—absolutely faithful to your wife.

Honor her physically. Be strong for your wife, not against her. Be protective of her and present with her.

Honor her emotionally. Be emotionally present and intimate. Take her on dates.

Honor her verbally. Speak honorably to her. Speak honorably of her, when she is present and absent.

Honor her financially. Provide for the financial needs of your family, organize your budget, and be generous towards your wife.

Honor her practically. Consider her needs and how you can serve her.

Honor her parentally. Be “Pastor Dad” by shepherding your children (praying with them, teaching them about Jesus, reading the Bible with them, etc.).

Honor her spiritually. You initiate and lead prayer, Bible, chats, church attendance, etc. Take responsibility for your church.

LOVE,

Derek

1 comment:

Angie Baker said...

Derek, I'm so happy for you! That's a great way to lay a strong foundation for marriage. One of the most important things I've learned is that love is an emotion AND a choice.